NOTE: Some of these articles are, unfortunately, behind paywalls. If you cannot access them, please contact me and I would be happy to send you a copy.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Literat, I., & Brough, M. (2019). From ethical to equitable social media technologies: Amplifying underrepresented youth voices in digital technology design. Journal of Media Ethics 34(3), 132-145.
- Literat, I., & Kligler-Vilenchik, N. (2019). Youth collective political expression on social media: The role of affordances and memetic dimensions for voicing political views. New Media & Society. First published online: April 1. DOI: 10.1177/1461444819837571
- Literat, I., & Markus, S. (2019). ‘Crafting a way forward’: Online participation, craftivism and civic engagement in Ravelry’s Pussyhat Project group. Information, Communication & Society. First published online: February 11. DOI: 10.1080/1369118X.2019.1573910
- Literat, I. & Kligler-Vilenchik, N. (2018). Youth online political expression in non-political spaces: Implications for civic education. Learning, Media & Technology 43(4), 400-417.
- Literat, I., Kligler-Vilenchik, N., Brough, M., & Blum-Ross, A. (2018). Analyzing youth digital participation: Aims, actors, contexts, and intensities. The Information Society, 34(4), 261-273.
- Kligler-Vilenchik, N. & Literat, I. (2018). Distributed creativity as political expression: Youth responses to the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election in online affinity networks. Journal of Communication 68(1), 75-97.
- Glaveanu, V.P., de Saint-Laurent, C.,. & Literat, I. (2018). Making sense of refugees online: Perspective taking, political imagination, and Internet memes. American Behavioral Scientist 6(4), 440-457.
- Cybart-Persenaire, A. & Literat, I. (2018). Writing stories, rewriting identities: Using journalism education and mobile technologies to empower marginalized high school students. Learning, Media & Technology. First published online: April 10.
- Literat, I., & Glaveanu, V.P. (2018). Distributed creativity on the Internet: A theoretical framework for online creative participation. International Journal of Communication 12, 893-908.
- Literat, I. (2018). Make, share, review, remix: Unpacking the impact of the Internet on contemporary creativity. Convergence: The International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies. First published online: Jan. 16.
- Literat, I., Conover, A., Herbert-Wasson, E., Page, K.K., Riina-Ferrie, J., Stephens, R., Thanapornsangsuth S., & Vasudevan, L. (2017). Toward multimodal inquiry: Opportunities, challenges and implications of multimodality for research and scholarship. Higher Education Research & Development. First published online: Oct. 16.
- Literat, I. & van den Berg, S. (2017). Buy memes low, sell memes high: Vernacular criticism and collective negotiations of value on Reddit’s MemeEconomy. Information, Communication & Society. First published online: August 22.
- Feng, Y., & Literat, I. (2017). Redefining Relations Between Creators and Audiences in the Digital Age: The Social Production and Consumption of Chinese Internet Literature. International Journal of Communication 11: 2584-2604.
- Li, Q. & Literat, I. (2017). Misuse or misdesign? Yik Yak on college campuses and the moral dimensions of technology design. First Monday 22(7). First published online: July 3.
- Literat, I. (2017). The Power of a Pony: Youth Literacies, Participatory Culture, and Active Meaning-Making. Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy 61(1), 113-116.
- Literat, I. (2017). Facilitating Creative Participation and Collaboration in Online Spaces: The Impact of Social and Technological Factors in Enabling Sustainable Engagement. Digital Creativity 28(2), 73-88.
- Literat, I. (2017). Refugee Selfies and the (Self-)Representation of Disenfranchised Social Groups. Media Fields Journal 12.
- Literat, I. & Glaveanu, V.P. (2016). Same but Different? Distributed Creativity in the Internet Age. Creativity: Theory, Research, Applications 3(2), 330-342.
- Literat, I. (2016). Interrogating Participation Across Disciplinary Boundaries: Lessons from Political Philosophy, Cultural Studies, Education, and Art. New Media & Society 18(8), 1787-1803.
- Literat, I. (2015). Implications of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) on Higher Education: Mitigating or Reifying Educational Inequities? Higher Education Research & Development 34(6), 1164-1177.
- Literat, I., & Balsamo, A. (2014). Stitching the Future of the AIDS Quilt: The Cultural Work of Digital Memorials. Visual Communication Quarterly 21(3), 138-149.
- Literat, I. (2014). Empowering Local Women through Digital Training Programs: A Sustainable Income-Generating Model in Hyderabad, India. Journal of Interactive Technology and Pedagogy 5.
- Literat, I. (2014). Measuring New Media Literacies: Towards the Development of a Comprehensive Assessment Tool. Journal of Media Literacy Education 6(1), 15-27.
- Literat, I. (2013). N=1: A Social Scientific Inquiry into Happiness and Academic Labor. Hybrid Pedagogy: A Digital Journal of Learning, Teaching, and Technology.
- Literat, I. (2013). Participatory Innovation: The Culture of Contests in Popular Science Monthly, 1918-1938. Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly, 90(4), 776-790.
- Literat, I. & Chen, N.-T. ( 2013). Communication Infrastructure Theory and Entertainment-Education: An Integrative Model for Health Communication. Communication Theory, 24, 83-103.
- Literat, I. (2013). A Pencil for Your Thoughts: Participatory Drawing as a Visual Research Method with Children and Youth. International Journal of Qualitative Methods, 12, 84-98.
- Literat, I. (2013). Participatory Mapping with Urban Youth: The Visual Elicitation of Socio-Spatial Research Data. Learning, Media & Technology, 38(2), 198-216.
- Literat, I. (2012). The Work of Art in the Age of Mediated Participation: Crowdsourced Art and Collective Creativity. International Journal of Communication, 6, 2962-2984.
- Felt, L., Vartabedian, V., Literat, I., & Mehta, R. (2012). Explore Locally, Excel Digitally: A Participatory Learning After-School Program for Enriching Citizenship On- and Offline. Journal of Media Literacy Education, 4(3), 213-228.
- Literat, I. (2012) Cultural Innovation and Narrative Synergy in R. Kelly’s Trapped in the Closet. Alphaville: Journal of Film and Screen Media, 3.
- Literat, I. (2012). Original Democracy: A Rhetorical Analysis of Romanian Post-Revolutionary Political Discourse and the University Square Protests of June 1990. Central European Journal of Communication, 5.1(8), 25-39.
Peer-Reviewed Conference Proceedings
- Literat, I. (2017). Tapping into the Collective Creativity of the Crowd: The Effectiveness of Key Incentives in Fostering Creative Crowdsourcing. 50th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS-50). Digital and Social Media Track. Kona, HI.
- Reilly, E., & Literat, I. (Eds.) (2012). Designing With Teachers: Participatory Approaches to Professional Development in Education. Los Angeles, CA: Annenberg Innovation Lab.